Engineer II or Engineer II
Location: Draper, UT
Engineer II or III Public Works – Engineering Division
Under the supervision of the Senior Engineering Manager, performs a variety of working level professional and technical duties as needed to assist in coordinating and participating in the design, development, and construction of city infrastructure. This position may be assigned by the Senior Engineering Manager or City Engineer to represent the city and division in various meetings, on committees and with other governmental entities as needed.
In addition, the following is included in the position summary for Engineer III:
Provides supervision to less experienced engineering staff and department support personnel on a project-by-project basis, as assigned.
- Assists with the design and management of projects under the direction of the Senior Engineering Manager and schedules all aspects of projects; ensures adherence with established standards and work plans, processes and procedures; coordinates legal activities and requirements; prepares change orders; monitors consultant activities and works to assure compliance with standards and contract specifications; assures timely completion of projects; and conducts and coordinates project inspections.
- Coordinates a variety of operations and activities undertaken by the engineering division related to traffic signalization, project design and management, infrastructure analysis and public works systems; coordinates project priorities; prepares engineering reviews and reports for proposed projects and developments; completes preliminary design of utility systems; and aids in establishing city master plan for various utility systems.
- Participates in the development and maintenance of the city flood control program; serves as liaison with federal, state, county, and local jurisdictions; represents the city as staff to various commissions and task forces; prepares various reports, projects and evaluations, as required; and provides input to the City Council and committees, as required.
- Reviews Public Works project site plans to determine compliance with established department policies, rules, regulations, ordinances, etc.; performs periodic Public Works inspections to assure compliance with material specifications and work quality.
- Provides coordination for the maintenance of traffic signals as needed to provide for emergency operation, re-programming of controllers and time clocks, general maintenance, and other related actions.
- Conducts traffic studies to support police department enforcement and compliance with state and local codes; conducts traffic studies to support project design projections.
- Assists in the preparation and updating of infrastructure general plans including transportation, culinary water, storm drainage and flood control, parks, and other general plans as assigned.
- Assists in the preparation and execution of citywide capital improvement program, as assigned by the Senior Engineering Manager.
- Coordinates engineering studies and reports including alternative studies, traffic studies, computer modeling of infrastructure, soils and geotechnical reports, land surveying and other engineering related studies and reports.
- Assists the GIS Manager with the Geographic Information Systems, as requested.
- Attends meetings, including evening meetings, as assigned by the Senior Engineering Manager.
- Assists in applying for outside funding sources from other entities, as directed
- Assists in the preparation and the updating of design and construction standards for city infrastructure including water, storm drainage, transportation, etc., assigned.
In addition, the following are essential functions for the Engineer III:
Serves as the engineer in charge for projects under the direction of the Senior Engineering Manager and schedules all aspects of projects; insures adherence with established standards and work plans, processes and procedures; coordinates legal activities and requirements; prepares change orders; monitors consultant activities and works to assure compliance with standards and contract specifications; assures timely completion of projects; conducts and coordinates project inspections.
- Education –Bachelor degree in civil engineering.
- Experience – Three years of experience in engineering design, project management, inspection, drafting, and surveying, (A combination of education and experience may be considered in lieu of formal education and required experience.) Preference may be given to applicants with experience working in municipality.
- Licenses/Certifications –Must have passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Exam and be within one year of becoming a Professional Engineer (PE). Valid Utah Driver License. Experience with AutoCAD and GIS/ArcMap preferred.
- Education –Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering.
- Experience – Four years of experience in engineering design, project management, inspection, drafting, and surveying..
- Licenses/Certifications –Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Utah. Valid Utah Driver License.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of –
- Principles and practices of engineering design and construction.
- Construction drawings and specifications, mathematics, algebra, and trigonometry, drafting procedures; computer-aided designing, drafting and plotting instruments.
Skill with –
- Project planning, scheduling, and control
- Interpreting plans and specifications
Engineer III: Developing, maintaining, and managing a team of professionals to achieve goals, project deadlines, and objectives
Ability to –
- Handle complex problems
- Communicate with others and to assimilate and understand information, in a manner consistent with the essential job functions
- Work in an office environment as well as outside in the field
- Receive, deliver, and explain oral and written instructions
- Exercise initiative and sound judgment
- React resourcefully under varying stressful situations
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing with co-workers, contractors and with the public under potentially adverse circumstances and to work well other
- Follow city policy; concentrate on the completion of assigned tasks accurately, and accomplish the completion of duties in a timely manner
Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., on site
- Health insurance (Traditional or HDHP with employer HSA contribution up to 3K per benefit year) effective DOH or Medical Cash Out – Effective day one.
- Gym and Wellness Incentive Program Reimbursement
- 401(k) up to 3.5% match effective DOH
- Enrollment in to Utah Retirement System (URS) – you don’t contribute but the City does contribute for you direct. Amount contingent on what level you join the city.
- Employer paid Life Insurance of 100K
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 13 holidays
- Tuition Reimbursement after new hire probation
BambooHR Standard Questions: Please have all candidates respond to these questions:
Short Answer – CERTIFICATE OF APPLICANT. (Carefully read before signing). I authorize the investigation of all prior employment records; and I authorize investigation of all statements in this application and/or statements made in the interviewing process. I understand that misrepresentation or omission of facts in this application is cause for disqualification and/or separation from employment.
Short Answer – REQUEST FOR REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION. If you are planning to attend this interview, testing, etc., and, due to a disability, need assistance in understanding or participating in the process, please notify the City no less than 24 hours in advance of the meeting (interview) and we will try to provide whatever assistance may be required.
To apply send resume to [email protected]